St. Stanislaus Kostka Church, West Town
St. Stanislaus Kostka Church in Pulaski Park was founded in 1867 as the first Polish parish in Chicago and is the “Mother Church” of all other Polish churches in the Archdiocese of Chicago.
St. Stanislaus Kostka Church | © David Wilson/Flickr
St. Mary of the Angels, Bucktown
The cornerstone of this church was laid in 1914 and, like many Polish Cathedrals, the architectural firm of Worthmann and Steinbach modeled its design on Rome’s St. Peter’s Basilica.
St. Mary of the Angels | © Goldnpuppy/WikiCommons
St. Hedwig’s Church, Bucktown
St. Hedwig’s was completed in 1901 at a cost of $160,000. The church was designed by Adolphus Druiding, who also designed St. John Cantius in West Town. The interior was refurbished in 2008 after a fire.
The interior of St. Hedwig’s Church | © DDohler/Flickr
St. Hyacinth Basilica, Avondale
Founded in 1894, the first Mass took place at St. Hyacinth in 1921. Another work by Worthmann and Steinbach, it was designated a minor basilica by Pope John Paul II in 2003.
St. Hyacinth Basilica | © IvoShandor/WikiCommons
Holy Innocents Church, West Town
Completed in 1912, this church has stained-glass windows imported from Poland. Also designed by Worthmann and Steinbach, Holy Innocents was one of a number of churches built within the old “Polish Downtown,” which centered on the Polish Triangle at Division, Ashland, and Milwaukee Avenues.
Holy Innocents Church | © Goldnpuppy/WikiCommons
Holy Trinity Church, West Town
Holy Trinity was founded in 1872 to relieve overcrowding at St. Stanislaus Kostka, but a feud between the two parishes meant Holy Trinity was not recognized canonically until the Vatican sent an Apostolic Delegate to resolve the issue 20 years later. In 2006, the parish hosted Polish Prime Minister Jaroslaw Kaczynski for Mass during a visit to Chicago.
Holy Trinity Church | © 2009, Jeremy Atherton/WikiCommons
St. John Cantius Church, West Town
The growth of Chicago’s Polish community necessitated the priest at St. Stanislaus Kostka to begin plans for a new church in 1893, and by 1898, St. John Cantius Church was completed. In 2013, the interior underwent restoration to return it to its original splendor.
St. John Cantius Church | © Victorgrigas/WikiCommons
St. Mary of Częstochowa, Cicero
St. Mary of Częstochowa was founded as a Polish parish in 1895, and has since grown to accommodate a large Hispanic population, today offering Mass in English, Polish, and Spanish. Al Capone’s sister Mafalda was married at the church in 1930.